Friday, July 24, 2009

Fleeting Moments



Was it by chance that you decided to trust me?
My chest swells with pride to be so honoured!

It is true that I desire to hold you tenderly
And watch every moment when you breathe softly,
resting your head on my lap,
My outstretched arm encircles to nestle and cocoon you from unforeseen dangers,
I take pride to absorb the shocks of journey on your life’s highway,
My fingers strain to hold you tightly,
For I am scared I might drop you down.

Relax dear child, you are in safe custody.
Relax until you are ready to fly.
I treasure the songs we sang together,
the poems recited and the secrets shared,
Remember me as some one who cared.

I know you are a creation of God, a marvel,
born only to win and soar high.
I wait for that moment when you will spread your wings,
to touch the vibrant colours of the sky.
Remember me then as someone who cared,
the songs we sang and the secrets we shared!

Shikha Roy
Educator

3 comments:

Reena Shah said...

These are fleeting moments that leave their fingerprints on a child's mind forever. We see your dedication in the magic you work with the kids. Thanks for sharing your secret recipe.

Reena Shah said...

We have seen you work your magic for years. Thank you for sharing the secret recipe!

Aditya Parekh said...

this is a very meaningful poem