Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Loneliness

Like another victim of insomnia
I sit distraught.
A vast emptiness stares at me,
Like a dying fish, it’s fraught.

The only path of air left,
Felt like an unknown hand had grasped.
Snatching it away! Swift it is…
And the time still ticked, as the pain lapsed.

A melody of a sort, a repetition of a kind;
Creates ripples in the still lake of my heart.
It confronted my silent, strangling solitude.
It pierced like a poisoned dart.

There was no warmth here;
In this cold, distorted scene
‘Cause where I sat nothing touched me;
Even the strongest rays faced the screen.

By
Asha Venugopalan
Grade 12

(Asha began writing poetry 4 years ago and has made her mark as a poet at an international level. Her poem `Loneliness' has been shortlisted for publication in the The Poetry Rivals Competition Anthology 2010, UK.)

1 comment:

anuradha nalapat said...

asha, once you write a poem on loneliness', once you befriend it, you have banished it from your self! you can't be lonely any more- That's the magic a poem offers. congratulations!

Have you wondered if there's a difference between 'alone' and loneliness?