Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Duke TIP Experience:Entrepreneurial Leadership

I'm going to share with you, my experience of taking the entrepreneurial leadership course at the Duke TIP summer studies program 2011.

I chose to take this course because:

1.) It some thing that schools in India usually don't offer for students of my age ( but that holds true for all the other courses offered as well)

2.) I always had a passion for business (it runs in the family) and leadership, and as soon as I heard I knew I had made my decision.

Now, some of you might be wondering who an entrepreneur is, and what is the true definition of a leader. Well, there are many ways to look at it, but here's my understanding:

An entrepreneur is someone, who can cross reference/meet the needs of the community with resources, and therefore makes some amount of profit ( not necessarily money). In other words, He/she can create value in the community profitably (value propositions).

A leader is someone who can make the right decisions, through good analysis ( strategy – MECE list of criteria), good communication skills, creativity and emotional intelligence ( not getting “married” to one idea). He/she should also be able to to reach/define success as well as, help lead his/her team towards it by looking at core competencies and by alining agendas ( the incorporation of goals and team members in the milestone and vision of the company).

During my three weeks at the Mysore Infosys campus, I learnt a lot. It was one of the best three weeks of my life. I chose the course entrepreneurial leadership, in which I learnt how to create a good business plan and lead and manage a team towards success. During my first week there we learnt the basics of creating a business plan, the aspects, such as marketing,operations and finance, the general business styles, other leadership skills and styles etc... All through the second week, we put our knowledge to test. We had an elevator pitch competition, in which we had to make power points and present it in front of a guest audience who acted as venture capitalists. Later, we had to create a business plan of about 35 – 45 slides on the same business venture. Finally, in the third week, we revised our skills by doing a project with the java team. Where we marketed a video game prototype that they created. This experience not only enhance my knowledge, but also taught me the way to look at it. To look at it in a structured and systematic manner.

For example, value propositions. My dad and I were pondering over the thought the other day, and we came to the conclusion that many IT biggies don't survive in the market for that long because they have very narrow value propositions ( niches). Take, Microsoft for instance, they're facing some stiff competition, why?? Because, if you look at their value proposition it is to create an operating system itself. These companies are not flexible as they have product or service – based value propositions.

On the other hand, IBM recently celebrated their 100th anniversary. They are an outsourcing company, that change with the market (time), they are very flexible company that provide systems and services.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience thoroughly!! And I am hoping I can attend again!!!!

Neeti Ganjur
Grade 9



No comments: