Thursday, October 8, 2009

Going Down Memory Lane-Ms.T.S.Sinduja

You think School….and your mind pictures a building, plenty of noisy kids, books, exams, sum fun and lots of strict teachers looking like they are on a mission to save the world!

I think Inventure….and the most amazing memories come rushing to my mind’s eye! Everything from starting on a farm with 17 enthusiastic teachers and 27 pepped up kids, studying in the company of cows, Alsatians, pigs, snakes and scorpions [you better believe it!], building a tree house, digging a pond, weaving a hammock, to swelling to 180 students by the end of a year and a half, giving established schools a run for their money, and even becoming one of the Top 25 schools in South India in less than 4 years! If that isn’t great, what is???

If I had to pick one incident that has left a lasting impression on my mind…I can’t, for the simple reason that every single moment at Inventure Academy since May 2005 has been memorable, has contributed to my growth, and has made me view education as being the best possible field to be associated with. But if you really want me to share at least one incident…here it is. I will never forget this moment for as long as I live.

It was the end of the Foundation Programme in June 2006 – the beginning of the 2nd academic year at Inventure. Kids had finished with a Treasure Hunt. The winning team had found a box full of goodies. The team consisted of 3 kids who had been at Inventure since its inception and 10 others who had joined afresh. The majority wanted to keep the goodies to themselves and not share it with the other teams who had lost. The 3 kids from Inventure were lost in silence and refused to touch the prize. When I noticed their reluctance, I shushed the crowd and asked the 3 kids why they were stepping back, to which one of them answered…”Our teachers here have taught us for a whole year that the greatest joy lies in sharing. How can we enjoy these goodies while we watch our friends from the other teams go empty handed?”

That statement was a validation of our success as a school – we had managed as a team to get our students to be thinking, sensitive and feeling individuals – qualities that far exceed the ability to ace an examination or be able to recall facts by rote! I shed tears of joy then…and I am sure that I will have many more such instances to rejoice over at this wonderful school which encourages one to “VENTURE withIN”!!


Sinduja T S
Head of AQMS

No comments: