Friday, October 23, 2009

Quenching The Thirst of Minds: SUPW

Curiosity in minds and twinkle in eyes; that exactly how I found each of my 40 prodigies on 22nd October when they came in all set to learn about cells from me. Trust me, I learnt much more from than they did from me! Their attention span lasted forever which really amazed me. Their smiles and friendliness will always be remembered by me. The students of a nearby Govt. School were my source of inspiration during my SUPW.

My lesson plan was to give them a set of worksheets and then gradually, referring to their course, I showed them modules on the facts about cells. Then I chose to go the manual way and because of time constraints I quickly told them about the cell organelles. But my presentation would have amounted to zilch if Chandrika ma’am and Nagashree ma’am wouldn’t have been there to explain to the children in their language and in an interesting manner according to their temperament. They were thrilled to see the diffusion and osmosis demonstrations in the classroom. Then I took them to the Biology lab to make them prepare onion peel slide and to observe them under a microscope so that their imagination could get a real for. The lab was well set before we reached by Chandrika ma’am and Nayak sir, which made the experiment so very convenient for us. This proved to be the most exciting session. Everyone was very responsive and excited.

After a demonstraton of the experiment by Chandrika ma’am, Nida , Dipali and I with all the other students were amused to perform the experiment ourselves and that too successfully. Just as everyone finished experimenting, the bio lab specimen grabbed the attention of all and they clustered around them. It was my pleasure to give them a closer look at them and tell them their names. They too taught me that the scorpion in kannada was called “chieru”(as I heard). Then sadly, the session had to end. So we all took then on a half-tour of the school and took them for snack. Then it was time to say goodbye. They waved to me graciously and I waved back to them with a happy heart and loads of inspiration.

No comments: